Simple Summertime Peach Cake
A fun take on a strawberry shortcake, this moist sponge cake is filled with ripe peaches and homemade whipped cream for an easy summertime dessert.
One of my favorite summertime fruits is a juicy peach. And nothing goes better with peaches than homemade whipped cream.
This delicious summertime cake marries my love of peaches and cream to create a sort-of take on a strawberry shortcake.
The cake is moist, buttery and perfectly sweet while the juicy peaches and fresh whipped cream scream summertime.
The cake is easy to make and assemble (freeze it for an hour before cutting it – I promise it will make cutting it SO much easier!) and looks so pretty when it’s cut up into its little squares. My husband says it tastes like a little bite of heaven – so there you go!
More Summer Recipes You Might Enjoy
Easy Summertime Peach Cake Recipe
For The Cake
- 1 cup flour sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh peaches, cut into chunks keep 12 slices for decorating
For The Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pint whipping cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease bottom of 9×13 baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Beat eggs until light in color.
- Beat in sugar, water and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt and beat quickly into the mixture. Immediately pour into pan. (Batter should be quite liquid and bubbly.)
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Invert onto a flat surface. Peel away parchment paper, and cool completely (I like to freeze it for about an hour to make it easier to cut).
- Once cooled, use a large serrated knife to cut the cake horizontally into three even layers. Set aside.
- Pour the cream into a bowl and add the vanilla and sugar. Beat on high until soft peaks begin to form.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the first layer of cake down.
- Spread a layer of the whipped cream over it, then chopped peaches evenly over the cream.
- Take a second layer of cake and spread a layer of whipped topping over it, then place it, cream side down, on top of the first layer.
- Repeat this for a third layer.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream on the very top of the cake.
- Cut into squares. Garnish each square with a peach segment.
- Eat immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Alternatively, freeze the cake itself and assemble when you’re ready to eat it!
How much flour??